I’ve almost definitely blogged about this little project before, but I don’t think I’ve given it a proper post. I found these magnificent bookends at the thrift store a few months ago, and fell in love immediately. Only problems:
- The paint was chipping, but they were too intricately carved to be sanded.
- The color was awful. That seventies reddish-brown.
- They were basically useless. Made out of wood, they weren’t heavy enough to function as bookends. Not even close.
- I bought a can of gray spray-paint primer and gave them each two very light coats.
- I originally thought I would spray paint the final color on, but it was too difficult to get the spray paint in those little crevices without making a drippy ugly mess. So I gave them three coats of acrylic paint. Yup. It took forever.
- I screwed them into the bookshelf from below. Now my bookshelf has a hole in it, but it’s worth it.
I particularly love these because they surround my favorites of Grady’s library.